Open Letter to Microsoft

As a professional software developer for over 15 years now, I have had a  love-hate relationship with Microsoft. On one hand, I've always loved the Windows OS platform.  Windows has always been the most consistent and best overall user experience of the OSes I've used - even if at times I had to work around nasty bugs and wait on well overdue service packs(the hating part)!

I've used a lot of different OSes in my lifetime, going back to a Coleco Adam SmartOS, C64, AmigaOS, different Linux distributions, Mac OSX, DOS, OS/2 Warp and every flavor of Windows except ME -I never used ME, so I can't speak about that potential heartbreaking affair - but Vista 64-bit had a lot of issues too!

When I used a MacBook with OSX for work- it came with some nice features, but I just can't get over the premium cost of hardware and lack of really great gaming experience I get on Windows.  Also, Xcode is not Visual Studio and unfortunately never will be.

Linux has some awesome distributions and as a server running LAMP or JVM, it is great. However, developing on Linux just sucks- even most LAMP developers uses Windows as their development  box.
Having the pleasure to develop with Borland Delphi, JBuilder, and MS Visual Studios, programming on Linux leaves a LOT to be desired - even more so than the Mac.

Yes, I know, everyone always rants this and that has improved, etc... but have you used VS 2012 or Delphi EX3? Need I say more? Go home Linux, you can't compete - neither can Mac Xcode for that matter.

Now, I see big changes coming to Microsoft - buying Nokia, cancelling my TechNet (very stupid MS), declaring yourself a services company when your #1 product is an OS,etc.

Well, I am writing this open letter to Microsoft in hopes it will find the right person with the right open-mindedness to actually read it!

IMHO, Microsoft needs to do the following:

First, get back to a true Windows user experience for desktop users. I don't need the Xbox or Surface UI on my desktop. That is what my Xbox 360 and Surface tablet are for. My windows desktop is for running applications and games that do not care about Metro UI components nor expect me to have a touchscreen.  Windows 8.1 for the PC should have no Metro UI at all. Throw it all away. Looking down at my task bar shortcuts, I see I use Outlook, Excel, Word, Visual Studio 2012, Notepad++, SQL Management Studio, MySQL Control Center, RDP, and  PowerShell at work. The only time I go into the Metro UI is to find a shortcut for something I don't use daily like Control Panel or Event Viewer.

Just bring back the Windows Desktop with a real Start Menu for PC desktops - everyone will upgrade - Microsoft will make huge bank - OEMs will be happy they are selling PCs again - we all win!

Secondly, take the Windows 8 Metro UI and re-brand it to Windows Surface OS. Take away the desktop mode and only allow it to be installed on smartphones and tablets.  Preferably smartphone and tablets Microsoft makes!  Apple figured this out a while back. Using an iPad is not the same as using an iMac. Apple also saw that iPhone and iPad had different feature/capabilities due to the difference in hardware and how we use them. I don't need Siri sitting at a desk... but on the move it can be handy. Touch is pointless sitting in front of the PC monitor - but really nice on a device I hold in my lap while riding in a car.

I see the argument - you can hook up a keyboard/mouse to a surface, you can't with an iPad.  (besides ignoring that using Bluetooth you can on a iPad) when I am at a desk, I have a keyboard and mouse. It comes naturally to me -it is what I am use to.  When I am riding in a car or out and about, I am not carrying keyboard/mouse along with me. If I am not in a car or sitting somewhere like waiting in a Dr. office, I probably don't even have my Surface tablet - I am using my Nokia Windows Phone.  So the ability to hook up USB devices to a portable device is pointless in practical usage of the device.

Finally, Microsoft needs to remember that there are tens of millions of people everyday who use PCs for WORK. They need 80 words per minute capability - something you are NEVER going to do on a touch screen. They need Excel on dual 23" monitors because they have to view a lot of data at one time.  They need PowerPoint and Word, not a finger motion One Note.

The idea that tablets will replace PCs is misguided. Tablets WILL replace PCs for people who only got into a PC (and more recently laptops) because they wanted to get to email, do social stuff like facebook, look up recipes, Ebay, Amazon shopping or watch Netflix. Tablets can do this better and more efficiently in most instances for a fraction of the price. So yes, PC sales to the general non-computing public will continue to drop. Tablets with cellular chips and a good quality Bluetooth headset could even start hurting smartphone sales, but I believe the Phablet (Phone/Tablet) will be the next big thing. Samsung already has a Phablet that can barely fit in my pocket - I am sure the man-purse is coming next for these devices!

Microsoft, you can not server two masters. Trying to make the next generation of Windows a PC, tablet, smartphone and Xbox OS into one product that is going to make it really hard for MS to dominate any of the markets.  Being the jack of all trades OS means you will have to make compromises that can undermined you in the end (lack of Start menu on Windows 8 for example).  PCs in the workforce aren't going anywhere soon because data entry on a true PC desktop OS is a million times better experience than on a tablet or smartphone.

So Microsoft, it is time to dedicate a division of your company that is all about the PC OS. Make Windows the best it has every been insuring that with a mouse and keyboard, it is a pleasure to use. Using the same underpinning core, dedicate a division to making Windows Surface the best mobile/tablet OS ever.  I argue Windows Phone already is - but like a tree branch falling in the woods - if know one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? Does anyone care about Windows Phone?

Don't get caught up on making sure my copy of notepad++ runs on Surface - I'll never use it there anyway. How about using your influence to getting me an Amazon Cloud Player app on your phone platform!

Don't brag on how Visual Studio can be installed  and run on a tablet - the day my employer tells me I have to move from my quad-core Xeon 16GB Ram workstation to a Surface Tablet to develop - it is the day I go looking for another job.

Also, please understand the following:

The number one reason people have bought Android and Apple devices in the tens of millions, is because most people

  DO NOT CARE THEIR WORKPLACE APPLICATION DOESN'T RUN ON THEM.

Let me say this again - just because Outlook runs on a Surface tablet isn't going to get anyone to buy a Surface tablet.  They don't care because 99% of the people using the full blown Outlook for email use it at work or for work.  The email clients built into Android and Apple devices is GOOD ENOUGH

Check for new emails - Check mark symbol
Read/Write Emails - Check mark symbol
Add/Edit/Remove items on my Calendar - Check mark symbol

So using Outlook is so better than Android or Apple Email I should by Surface over Android or Apple? Really?  That is your marketing genius - let's take a top reminder of what people dislike the most - work - and make that our sales pitch for this new device we swear they will love, become more productive and more entertained!  So me making my employer get more unpaid hours of work out of me is what you think will motivate me to buy your tablet?  If they made a device that guaranteed it could never hook to an Exchange server, I would probably buy it because then I can tell my employer, buy me a device or don't expect me to check emails after hours.

Also, with the release of the new Apple iPhone's this last weekend (9/20), I've yet to meet a person in the large crowds waiting in line asking if they can run Quickbooks or Excel in their phone or tablet.  They care about text messaging and how responsive their social media apps like Twitter and Facebook are - they don't care about compatibility to a bunch of apps they would never use if their employer didn't make them use those apps in the first place. For full disclosure, I was waiting to get the new Nokia 520 Windows 8 phone - but the massive iPhone crowd just made me decided I'll go back in a few days!  

Also, quit believing the "media" idea that business people do all their work on their smartphones. You know why a young, hip CEO can use a iPhone for all his/her work? Because their $75K year Executive Assistant does all their typing/memos/emails from his/her PC/Laptop!

Come on Microsoft, I am hoping you wake up and get this right.  I am a PC software developer - don't sacrifice what has made you great in hopes to get into a market that your legacy apps mean nothing.  Make Windows on the PC the best it can be and businesses will reward you for years to come.  Make a truly great gaming and mobile OS, and consumers will reward you for years to come.  Cheat them both by cutting corners to server two masters, and both businesses and consumers will replace you.

Regards,
Michael Valverde


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is on like Donkey Kong!

Writing a Video Game